Lead mechanic for building Bristol Bicycles
Bristol Bicycles and Jake’s Bikes is an independent shop in central Bristol offering servicing & repairs and cycle hire, with a strong focus on excellent customer service. We also design and build practical, reliable bikes under our own Bristol Bicycles brand. Ultimately the aim of our work is to get more people cycling. We believe in making it easy, enjoyable and normal to cycle every day.
We are seeking to appoint a new staff member to our team of five to build new Bristol Bicycles, and to assist with servicing and repairing customers’ bikes, as well as serving customers in the shop.
Our core values are:
- Honesty and trust
- Clear, jargon-free, unpatronising advice
- Consulting the customer and meeting their needs; no hard selling
This is primarily a workshop role, and will suit someone with excellent attention to detail, strong practical skills, and at least three years of experience as a professional bike mechanic. The work includes building all models of Bristol Bicycles including E-bikes, and servicing and repairing a wide variety of customers’ bikes. You will be responsible for delivering the work on time and to set quality criteria, including meeting productivity targets. You will also assist with the management of Bristol Bicycles stock levels, ordering stock from our suppliers as required.
|Role:||Mechanic (Bristol Bicycles builds)|
|Hours:||Four days per week (normally Wednesday to Saturday). 5.6 weeks paid holiday per year pro rata. Extra hours available March to October.|
|Place of Work:||Jake’s Bikes, 6A Haymarket Walk, Bristol BS1 3LN (between the Bear Pit roundabout and the Bus Station)|
|Contract:||Permanent (subject to successful 3-month probationary review)|
||Meeting weekly workshop productivity targets (personal and team); assisting with Bristol Bicycles stock management; assisting with development of Bristol Bicycles systems and processes; achieving customer service standards.|
|Daily Duties:||Building Bristol Bicycles to order; servicing and repairing customers’ bikes; liaising with and serving customers; ordering Bristol Bicycles stock.|
|Wage:||£9.00 per hour, plus profit share bonus scheme worth up to £1,500 per year|
|Benefits:||Statutory Pension Scheme|
Main Accountabilities and Duties
Bristol Bicycles Building and Stock Control
This part of the role involves building all types of new Bristol Bicycles including hybrids, touring bikes, E-bikes and adventure bikes.
- Consistently meeting weekly workshop productivity targets
- Achieving defined quality control standards for bike builds
- Assisting other staff in building Bristol Bicycles
- Managing stock and ordering from our suppliers
- Achieving defined customer service standards, adhering to our core values
Servicing and Repairs
Your time in the workshop will be split between building new bikes (above), and servicing and repairing customers’ bikes. This part of the role requires problem-solving and doing a first class job quickly and efficiently. You will be required to be able to undertake all levels of servicing and repairs on a variety of customers’ bikes.
You will sometimes serve customers in the shop, e.g. during busy periods or to cover lunch breaks. You will also liaise with customers (usually by phone or email) to discuss options and ensure they are kept up to date with the progress of their work, all in line with our core values.
- Minimum of 3 years full-time experience (or equivalent) as a professional bike mechanic
- Up-to-date knowledge of bike component compatibilities and standards
- Pragmatic – happy to work on all kinds of bikes, happy to learn new ways of working
- Attention to detail
- Thorough and methodical, with a safety-first attitude
- Flexible, able to multi-task, and a fast worker
- Enjoy working as a member of a small team on a daily basis
- Able to self-manage and work independently when required
- Customer service experience with good communication skills
- Friendly, helpful, positive manner
- IT literate: able to write emails, use suppliers’ websites, use stock control system
- Cytech level 2 or equivalent qualification
Please send CV and covering letter to [email protected]
Closing date for applications: end of Monday 23rd September 2019
Start date: 1st October (or as soon as possible after this date).